Friday, January 27, 2012

Divine Romance

I finished reading the book "The Divine Romance" by Gene Edwards. Agh. What a beautiful and fresh perspective on what it means to have relationship with our Father. here's an excerpt from the prologue:
"He was alone. The first tick of time had never sounded, nor had the unending circle of eternity yet commenced. There was neither things created nor things uncreated to share space with him. He dwelt in an age before the eternals, where all there was...was God. Nor was there space for anything else. He was the uncreated. He was the ALL. In this non-time of so long ago, there was but one life form...the highest life. He was also love."
Throughout the history of the world, God been looking for a counterpart to share his love with, someone that can return the love. So man was created in his image. And once created, God said "It is not good for man to be alone." So from the side of man, came the rib that God used to build woman. The counterpart for man...hidden inside him the whole time. So man had woman...

...but it is not good that God should be alone.

As the Israelites make camp, waiting for Moses to return from Mt. Sinai, they scurry around, thinking of ways to honor the Lord that delivered them from captivity. The Lord listens in as the people make plans to serve him with their lives, offer up their silver and gold, obey his every command and worship him with their whole beings.
A deep sadness now disturbed the face of the Lord, for he was contemplating the response he had heard from his people. A long, deep groan of sorrow, unheard by human ears but shattering the tranquility of the entire heavenly host, rose up from his depths. 'I did not require of you your wealth nor coins of gold. What need have I of these? I did not ask of you that you serve me. Do I, the Mighty One, need to be waited upon? Neither did I ask of you your worship nor your prayers nor even your obedience.' He paused. Once more a long, mournful groan rose from his breast. 'I have asked but this of you, that you love me...love me...love me.'
All he desires from us is love. Worship and offering and obedience to his will is all a bi-product of our love for him. You've probably heard that we are to be his Bride. This book gives such a new, beautiful perspective on that. Individually, but as a whole, God pursues us like his Bride. And he's just looking for the love he's shown us to be returned. Like husband and wife.

Shoot. This book just brought so much more life to God for me. He has feelings that can be hurt...just like me. We were created in his image, after all. He is to be worshiped and exalted and held up high on his throne, but too often I hold him there, not allowing him to come down to earth to be near me, like a best friend that can cry with me, hurt with me but also laugh with me and go on adventures with me.

A week ago, I took a short bus ride into town with some friends to go worship at a local's apartment. Something like forty people crammed in, representing seventeen or eighteen different nations. It was beautiful to sit back and watch this forty-something group of people fellowship and worship, with basically the only common denominator being a love for Jesus. Man. The body of Christ. His Bride. Living and breathing and pursuing Him. 

Just about half the group that got together for a quick pic that night.

My time here continues to challenge, ignite and rock me.  I love being able to write and share my heart with you. May these things stir your heart as much as they do mine.

It's time we bring the body together and return his love, for it is not good that God should be alone.

much love Sons and Daughters of God

Knox

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully articulated. Evocative of that talk we listened to by Donald Miller comparing the Gospel to Romeo & Juliet. The Gospel really doesn't make sense outside of the context of a love story. Can't wait to see the next post...keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete